24 Mar 2016

Review: Etude House BIG Cover Cushion Concealer in Shade 'Vanilla'

 

January 2016 saw the launch of Etude House's BIG Cover range which includes several types of concealing products, including a Concealer BB, Cushion Concealer, Cover Stick Concealer and a flocked Tip Concealer. I'm a huge fan of concealer, so was pretty eager to test this new range as I had tried the Surprise Essence Concealer as well as their Surprise Concealer Kit back in 2013.

Today I'll be reviewing the Cushion Concealer in shade 'Vanilla' which I purchased in-store for KRW11,000 for 5g of product. 

There are six shades available:
  • Illuminating (for an illuminating effect)
  • Mint (for redness)
  • Peach pink (for dark circles)
  • Vanilla #17 (general concealing)
  • Beige #21 (general concealing)
  • Sand #23 (general concealing)
 

What it promises:
"Cushion Concealer includes a finger cushion puff to cover flaws naturally anytime, anywhere with customized correcting color for complete flawless skin" 

Both products are SPF30/ PA++

Ingredients:
Water, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Phenyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Cetyl
Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Propanediol, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide (Ci 77947), Polypropylsilsesquioxane, Disodium Edta, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitan Isostearate, Stearic Acid, Adenosine, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate/Dimethicone Methacrylate Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Ozokerite, Caprylyl Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides (Ci 77492), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491), Iron Oxides (Ci 77499), Fragrance

 

Packaging:
So admittedly, the packaging is very gimmicky as 'cushion' everything has been all the rage since 2014. The actual finger cushion puff isn't much different to the normal flocked tip version, except for the fact that it is dome-shaped and has a click button to dispense the product. I suppose it is nice for stippling the product around the eye area, but I still need to use my fingers or makeup brushes to blend the concealer properly. I also think the tip has the potential to become really gross after a while, so unless you're gonna use this up quickly, it might not be the most hygienic option for you. 

 

Texture and Scent: 
So here's where I simply have to applaud Etude, because the texture and coverage of this concealer is a vast improvement from the previous ones I've tried. I love how creamy and dewy it feels on my skin right after application, particularly the under eye area where I predominantly use it to brighten up my skin. However, as soon as it dries (which is pretty quickly, so application should be done fast) its flaws start showing up. It has a matte finish and anyone who's into concealing knows what a bitch a dry formula can be, as it cakes up on dry skin and settles in the lines around your eyes- never sexy. There's a mild baby power/floral scent which disappears soon after application, so it shouldn't be a problem for those who are sensitive to fragrance.

   
My thoughts:
I picked the shade Vanilla since it's one shade lighter than my natural skin tone and thus creates a natural brightening effect. I do love that it gives plenty of coverage to hide my dark circles and it does a good job of brightening up the under eye area, but I really dislike the awful matte finish. This is not Etude House's best formula to date; after a few hours of wear it really does exacerbate the look of fine lines under my eyes. As for the rest of my face, it works just fine, so it's kinda hit or miss with this one. 

I am quite impressed with the staying power of this concealer and also find that it's better at covering blemishes than other concealers in that it doesn't exacerbate flakiness despite being such a dry formula, but I won't be replacing my MAC Pro Longwear Concealer just yet. Used as a general concealer, this product should be fine, but if you specifically conceal around the eyes, this stuff is a definite no-go. 


xo
 














1 comment:

  1. Aww, too bad about the matte issue/dry look. I'd love to find a concealer that is dewy and moisturizing like my tinted moisturizer.

    Regina
    Margarita Bloom | Modern Vintage Beauty & Fashion
    BLOG: Cherry Lips Blonde Curls
    INSTAGRAM: @margaritabloom
    BLOGLOVIN Margarita Bloom

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...