19 Feb 2015

Review: NYX Matte Lipstick in 'Shocking Pink' & Soft Matte Lip Cream in 'Addis Ababa'


As a former lipstick-hater I think it's time to finally admit that I am now obsessed with the stuff! It has taken some time and experimenting with different brands and types, but I've finally found my happy place when it comes to lippy. Firstly, let me say that NYX is one of my favourite drugstore makeup brands out there. Their prices are affordable and the quality of their products is just superb and often on par with high-end brands like MAC. Today I'll be reviewing their Matte Lipstick and Soft Matte Lip Cream (I prefer matte products because of the staying power and the fact that less shine means fuller-looking lips). As far as I know NYX is available in South Africa at selected Clicks stores only.



 
What it Promises:
The Lipstick
"NYX Matte Lipsticks are highly pigmented, richly formulated and long-wearing. The formula glides on smoothly and stays put with a non-drying matte finish."

Ingredients:  
Bees Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) wax, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla)wax, Ceresin, Microcrystalline Wax, Polyethylene, Octyldodeanol, Polyisobutene, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Oleyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Isostearyl Isostearate, Bis-Digylceryl Polyacyladipade-2, Tocopheryl Acetate, B.H.A, and Fragrance. MAY CONTAIN: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), D&C Red No.6 (CI 15850), D&C Red No.7 (CI 15850), D&C Red No.27 Aluminum Lake (CI 45410), FD&C Yellow No.5 Aluminum Lake (CI 19140), FD&C Blue No.1 Aluminum Lake (CI 42090), or D&C Red No.36 (CI 12085).

The Lip Cream
"Neither lipstick nor lip gloss, this matte lip cream is a new kind of lip colour that goes on silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. Soft Matte Lip Cream is surprisingly durable and, unlike some matte lipstick formulas, also moisturizing."

What it is: Highly pigmented, matte lip cream
What it does: Creates various matte lip looks
How to use: Apply directly to lips, or over lipstick. Apply with lip liner to define outline of lips.

Ingredients: 
Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone,Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone /Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane,Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain:CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na.Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 AlLake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 AlLake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499(Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (TitaniumDioxide).

Packaging:
Both products come in standard black plastic packaging, no fuss or frills.



Texture and Scent:

Both the lipstick and lip cream have a really moisture-rich and creamy texture, which I love, since matte lip products tend to be a bit on the dry side and as such can be a bit difficult to apply- not to mention the drying effects on your lips. I wouldn't call these products full-on matte though, but rather creamy-to-medium-matte finish with an ever-so-slight shine that disappears after the product dries. While the lipstick doesn't have any discernible scent, the lip cream smells deliciously sweet and reminds me of candy floss and marshmallows- yum!


My Thoughts:
These two lip products are my all-time favourites to date! I love combining the two shades (as seen above) for a lovely bright lip that I've finally been able to pull off with confidence since going blonde.Their creamy texture is so kind on dry lips and the lip cream is actually quite moisturising. My favourite thing about them though is the fact that they wear unlike any products I've tried before. Even after eating and drinking this stuff manages to stay put and still look great which is fabulous to say the least! It takes a really special kind of formula to achieve this and NYX have accomplished this perfectly. I also love the fact that they're very pigmented, so what you see in the packaging is literally what you get. The shades available are so lovely, but unfortunately South Africa only imports a limited range which is a bit disappointing. All in all I simply cannot fault these two products and would highly recommend them to anyone.

xo










6 comments:

  1. THings really changed as we grow older, I used to hate lipsticks as well but I am loving them now especially Red Matte lippies! :)) I love that shade! thanks for sharing dear!

    xx
    Rica
    www.switbbydoll.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true Rica :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I've heard great things about Nyx matte lipsticks~

    Wanna follow each other on GFC? Followed you :D

    http://toomanybiases.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia, glad you liked it! I followed you back :)

      Delete
  3. What a bright and cute colors! I have to learn better how to apply lipsticks, because usually I get them all over my face! :D thats why I prefer lip glosses more! That lip cream sounds and also looks so great, have to buy that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a hard time too, Selina! Practice makes perfect :) Thanks for commenting! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...